20 April, 2016
Santa Maria Grilled Tri-Tip Beef
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Ready In: 5 Hours 15 Minutes
“Enjoy this Californian dish anywhere thanks to Chef John’s recipe for Santa Maria grilled tri-tip beef!”
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (2 1/2 pound) beef tri-tip roast
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 cloves crushed garlic
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Stir salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, rosemary, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl. Place beef in a glass baking dish and coat beef on all sides with spice mixture.
Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Combine vinegar, vegetable oil, crushed garlic, and Dijon mustard together in a sealable container. Cover the container and shake to blend ingredients.
- Remove beef from refrigerator, uncover, and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- Place meat on preheated grill and brush with garlic-vinegar mixture. Cook meat for 4 minutes, flip, and baste.
Repeat the flip and baste process every 4 minutes until beef starts to firm and is reddish-pink and juicy in the center, 25 to 30 minutes total.
An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 130 degrees F (54 degrees C). Let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing.